Sunday, August 9, 2009

Life Aghast


It was awful. It was terrible. The images that I’ve witnessed will be burned into my head forever. I walk away now truly understanding the harsh reality of what war really is. What I just came out of can only be described as the most gruesome cut throat battle ever witnessed. It all happened so fast. One minute we were standing frontline watching them ride over the horizon; in the next moment I’m in the middle of a whirlwind of blood from all angles. All I could hear was screaming, and chaos as the gun powder filled the air. I’m not sure how long the battle lasted. All I can remember is the last moments of one of our fellow soldiers. After the field cleared I saw him, waddling in a pool of his own blood, gasping for air, until slowly fading to rest before I could even react. He just laid there motionless.

I was at a total loss for words. I had to sit down for a moment. I couldn’t believe it. I always wanted to join the army but for this? I myself came out completely unharmed but I just as well could’ve been shot, because that’s how I felt at the moment. I couldn’t even bear to look. It was too devastating. As the cold wind blew through the air we returned to our base where I stayed awake all night with my mind racing.

I didn’t know if I even wanted to continue at this point. At times I forget what exactly I’m fighting for to begin with, but there’s no way I can quit. We just have to continue on, but each day is harder. It’s a shame things had to end up like this but we’re all forced to search for light at the end of the tunnel. I wonder if justice will truly prevail. I also wonder how my family feels right now. However one thing I do know is that after what I’ve seen, every breath taken is one worth cherishing.

2 comments:

  1. Great story! It was hard to hear during the meeting, so being able to read it in full is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn good moral to the story. It can even be associated to what the soldiers of today might feel after coming home.

    ReplyDelete